They want to build a house so, naturally, I volunteered to do their house plans. I want her to have a wonderful house where she will be happy and I want her to owe me. *grin* Her boys are accomplished cowboys and I want my boys to learn to ride one day. Win-win situation!
I asked her to start by giving me some "must-haves" and start collecting photographs of houses she likes so I can get a "feel" for her style. Here is her list:
- 2000 square feet maximum – downsizing.
- 3 bedrooms (master has to be large enough for king size bed); other two can be significantly smaller
- Bedrooms can be split or not; it doesn’t matter anymore, however, I don’t want the master directly next to the kitchen or living room.
- 2 bathrooms (double vanities in both); one needs to be master en-suite.
- Formal dining.
- A study/office would be nice, but not necessary.
- Eat in kitchen – open concept into living room.
- Front porch and back porch.
- Garage in back or side; must enter into utility room; then to kitchen – don’t want to walk through house bringing in groceries.
- I want the bulk of square feet in the kitchen and living room.
She found a plan she liked which gave me a starting point to design the floor plan.
All plans are 3 bedroom (Office could be 4th bedroom)/2 bathrooms
Option A has a corner fireplace and a butler's pantry. This island seats 3 comfortably. No built-ins in the Great Room. Has an extra 1/2 bathroom.
Option B has a fireplace flanked with built-in cabinets and a butler's pantry next to the Utility Room. This island seats 3 comfortably. Has an extra 1/2 bathroom.
Option C has a fireplace flanked with built-in cabinets. This island seats 3 comfortably. The Utility Room/Pantry is quite large and comfortable. Has an extra 1/2 bathroom.
Option D has a fireplace flanked with built-in cabinets. This eat-in island seats 5 comfortably in lieu of a breakfast area. The Utility Room/Pantry is quite large and comfortable. Plenty of storage in this plan. Has an extra 1/2 bathroom.
Option E has a fireplace flanked with one side of built-in cabinets. This alternate style island seats 3 comfortably. The Utility Room/Pantry is a little smaller, but gives more room to the Breakfast area which has room for a built-in pantry or a piece of furniture. The half bath is omitted to allow for more space in the Master Closet.
Option F has a corner fireplace and no built-ins in the Great Room. The island seats 3 comfortably. The Breakfast room has room for an extra pantry, cabinets, or a buffet and has lots of windows. The Washer/Dryer is located in the large Master Closet.
She's leaning towards Option C which I like for the large Pantry/Utility Room. Stay tuned for elevations!
Which one is your favorite?